I am working on some big things today and tomorrow, so stay tuned.
Posts Tagged ‘Flaming Capitalism’
Dear Readers: I wanted to take a few moments to give thanks to all of you, who have followed many of my hip-breaking adventures this year. As a reward for your honoring the Shrine of Flaming Capitalism so, I wanted to share with you one of my favorite movie scenes (from the movie, Addams Family Values).
I also wanted to give a GODDESS OF CAPITALISM – FLAMING CAPITALISM PROMOTION to 2 specific websites. If you adore the Goddess, then do her bidding: If you plan to shop for the holidays at Amazon.com, then go though either of these sites (their profits become my profits).
LEGAL INSURRECTION – A big thanks to Bill Jacobson for his support, observations, editing and wit. Please check out my new post on Legal Insurrection — and click on the Amazon link to the right!!! (My post – College Diversity Supporters Form Circular Boycott Squad)
CAPTAIN CAPITALISM: A big, big thank you to Aaron Clarey — who kindly links to my history based posts (otherwise, they may have languished in electronic oblivion) . I am a big fan of his book, “Worthless (Indispensable Guide to Choosing the Right College Major“, and will join his
haremteam of female editors for his newest publishing endeavor. I am thrilled by work with College Insurrection also ties into “Worthless” so perfectly.
I also wanted to thank Silvio Canto of Canto Talk for making me his “Executive Producer” and allowing me the opportunity to gain more experience in the newly developing world of podcast radio. It has been a real blessing.
I am adding a “Happy Birthday” to Charles Caesar of DooDoo Economics, who keeps the SLOBs running like a well oiled machine. We are truly going to need citizen journalists more than ever after 2012. I just hope the government keeps its hands off our internet.
And a Thanksgiving round-up from the SLOBS:
- W.C. Varones: The lesson of the first Thanksgiving: socialism kills
- KT Cat :Getting In Touch With My Inner Wampanoag For Thanksgiving
- B-Daddy: Giving Thanks for a Great Nation
- Beers with Demo: Thanksgiving 2012
Dear Readers: Before I go on to today’s theme, a programming note — our favorite BlogTalkRadio host, Silvio Canto, had a special request. Therefore, I need to share an awesome interview with businessman Joey Norris , in which they discussed the political and economic state of black America today. I also wanted to mention that our own SLOB, Dean of Beers with Demo, will be on the show Thursday (7 pm Pacific, 9 pm Central). Click here for podcasts or to listen.
Now, onto the Shrine’s new role: Suicide Hotline for Nervous Romney Supporters.
Part of the reason is that I have to talk Horemheb off the electoral ledge, as his duty station is in midnight blue Santa Barabra (where the cheap cable package offers only CNN and MSNBC. When he dies, my husband is going to heaven, because he has officially done his time in purgatory). He focuses on the questionable polls offered by these equally questionable news organizations, wondering how Romney is ever going to beat Obama.
A few points:
- All the polls are being done too early with too variable a sampling to be meaningful at this point in the election cycle (CLICK HERE to listen to this podcast with Silvio and independent centrist and the Prairie Editor Barry Casselman for a thorough analysis).
- Obama is hitting Romney with all he’s got, and he isn’t moving the poll numbers.
- The elite media has no interest in presenting this race has the Romney landslide it will be, because that doesn’t make for good ratings.
Romney didn’t get where he is at , nor marry such a great lady, by being dumb. He has spent the past few years figuring out how to beat Obama, who only relies on a limited number of 12 Alinsky rules during his campaigns. Romney also has a much more social media savvy band of supporters than McCain did, which helps to return volley on those aforementioned Alinsky rules. For example, Obama wanted to get some serious mileage out of Romney’s time at Bain Capitol. The Wall Street Journal is wringing its hands that “Romney needs to explain better”.
Obama has essentially committed verbal harikari with his “You Didn’t Build it” slip. This has unleashed Romney, who will now have a platform to detail why attacking business success will not lead to a better economy — in full-throated and experienced detail. (Or as Hillary is 44 notes – Psycho Killer Barack Obama Beaten Senseless By Mitt Romney ) With employment and sales data numbers looking bad, this is a message that will resonate in the coming months. Additionally, Team Romney fans have fired up social media in a most thorough application of Alinsky Rule 5: RULE 5 -“Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.” (Hat-tip, the blog-father, Instapundit).
As Michelle Obama’s Mirror notes: ALINKSY WORKS FOR US NOW!!!
There have been a series of Twitter Hashtag skirmishes, in which I have exchanged fire. The obvious one is #YouDidntBuildThat. However, after the Hollywood attempt to game the election with a Batman villain being named “Bane”, there was a ton of great tweets on #ObamaComicBookVillains.
Now, a bunch of Republicans are asking Romney to grab his ankles and release his tax records. Why? Has Romney failed to comply with specific laws — if not, then shut-the-hell up. Obama hasn’t released a fraction of the information Americans across the country have requested — school records, Fast and Furious documents, etc. The fact Romney is man enough to tell them to stuff it is REFRESHING.
So, to those of you who think Romney is going to McCain this election, here is the official MUT prophesy for the day — Obama is going to lose by such numbers, “to be Obama-ed” is going to become the new verb form for a complete and total electoral refudiation. Yes, he will finally hit a bottom so low his name will become a verb.
So, instead of second-guessing the Romney Team, get in and contribute with such talents you have. It will be a far better use of your emotional energy. And, keep in mind, the only poll we should be concerned with is this one on Nov. 6th:
- A must-watch video via WC Varones: A public health message from your friends at W.C. Varones
- Word Warrior offers a hilarious series of INTERNATIONAL THREAT ALERTS
- KT Cat has a take on banking operations under the current regulations that is informative: Vengeance Is Expensive
- B-Daddy covers what will be one of the most serious unintended consequences of Obamacare: Bending Down the Cost Curve at the Expense of Innovation
A few links to friends of the Shrine:
- Speaking of hiding things, Legal Insurrection reveals that Debbie Wasserman Schultz hides property by using “Deborah Schultz”
- Mark Meckler notes More Fed Workers on Disability Than Entire Population of NYC
- I am totally jealous – EdgeofSandBox got to meet Professor Jacobson, and as a bonus dissects magnificently an EJ Dione column: The Peace Now of Economic and Social Policy
- And, after reading this, I promise to fix Captain Capitalism a home-cooked meal if he comes to San Diego.
- Jeanie-ology’s take on today’s theme: Lone Cowboy Obama Promotes Collectivism
Finally, prayers being sent to Lonely Conservative, who is being targeted for harassment because she won the “Circle of Moms” contest, in which I met her on-line. I know you only take flak when you are over the target, but to be exposed to such sensless hatred must be soul-draining. I hope she finds the strength to endure, and she would be a good example for all of us to continue the good fight.
Dear Readers: Today marks the one-year countdown until the 2012 election. On November 6, 2012, the Goddess of Capitalism projects that the arch-enemy of the free market system, Barak Hussein Obama, will be voted out of office. Therefore, today will mark a high holy day on this website and henceforth be known as Capitalism Freedom Day.
To celebrate, please note your favorite corporations in the comments section. I have ideas for several other Goddess of Capitalism icons in the future. I would like to use the most cherished logos.
Today’s tune: Oingo Boingo’s Captialism –
American Capitalism is the must-watch video for this sacred day:
Long-time friends of mine will recognize that I mark great occasions by fun belly dancing videos. However, given the cultural influence I channeled today, as well as the continuing contribution of the Indian people to prosperity everywhere, I went with something a little more Bollywood:
I will end this post with a small comment on last night’s Gingrich-Cain debate. I think the best result of this novel event is than many conservative friends have come away with a much more positive view of the entire field, and are now seriously reconsidering candidates deemed unacceptable before. In my view, the biggest loser is the Mainstream Media, who will no longer be able to stage inconsequential game-show style bouts with uber-leftist, gotcha questions in order to generate soundbites and provide fodder for elite, condescending punditry. All Americans won last night.
And, if all of this couldn’t get better, we get an extra hour today (I hope you remembered to turn your clocks back)! Have a happy and profitable Capitalism Freedom Day!
Dear Readers: I have a few items and events that I would like to support, promote, and publicize!
1) PLEASE “LIKE” THE SLOB WEBSITE (if you have a Facebook account): For the friends of the Shrine of Flaming Capitalism, could you please hit the “like” thumbs up button on the right menu of the website for the SAN DIEGO LOCAL ORDER OF BLOGGERS? One of the Shrines regular readers said it reminded him of Pajamas Media. I would also like to thank SLOB Charles Caesar for putting this together. All my favorite San Diego San Diego Tea Party group-SCTRC pundits are gathered together for convenient reading and agitating. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
2) Let SCTRC President Dawn Wildman Wildman know if you are interested in participating in a San Diego Tea Party workshop: The Grassroots Activist School will teach you how to get involved and make a difference in your local elections and governance. This training gives you the nuts and bolts tools needed to hold your elected leaders accountable and engage in the dialog impacting major issues of the day. If there is enough interest, this workshop will be set-up and I will post further information. You can contact Dawn by clicking HERE and using the email address given.
3) GET IN THE MOOD TO BATTLE!!! The Young Prince and I are big fans of SPIKE TV’s Deadliest Warrior series. The television program presents information on historical or modern warriors and their weapons are used to determine which of them is the “deadliest” based upon tests performed during each episode. The show is characterized by its use of the data compiled in creating a dramatization of the warriors’ battle to the death. As I come from a family of fencers and historical reenactment aficionados, this is awesome. The fact it has detailed scientific analysis and medical evaluations of the wounds that the weapons inflict, the science is an extra bonus.
My son’s fencing school is having a special event this Friday night (Aug. 5) from 6-8 pm.
* Watch Deadliest Camper instructor Barry Jacobsen and his friends as they compare the strengths and weaknesses of a Spartan Warrior and Ninja Master.
* Witness the simulated duel to the death using the evidence gathered from scientific experiments performed during the episode to decide the Deadliest Warrior.
* Enjoy popcorn, pizza, and drinks (FREE!) as students engage in critical discussions and even have the opportunity to take a look at real weapons from the show!
* **IMPORTANT**: Please be aware that this show can be a bit gory for small children. So, if you’re not sure if you want your little one’s watching the show click here and decide if this show is right for your family.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ON AN AWESOME SPORTS SCHOOL, THE DEADLIEST CAMPER KID’S CAMP, AND THE EVENT, CLICK HERE!
* Left Turn: How Liberal Media Bias Distorts the American Mind: I heard about this book during the Larry Elder show. What makes this book different is that the author, a UCLA professor, puts scientific analysis and hard numbers in an innovative matter as to how much media bias sways opinion leftward: Groseclose contends that the general leftward bias of the media has shifted the PQ of the average American by about 20 points, on a scale of 100, the difference between the current political views of the average American, and the political views of the average resident of Orange County, California or Salt Lake County, Utah. With Left Turn readers can easily calculate their own PQ—to decide for themselves if the bias exists. This timely, much-needed study brings fact to this often overheated debate.
Needless to say, the book won’t get the same media attention that progressive tomes do — so please spread the word.
5) Listen for me on the Chris Reed Show -Top Stors on AM600 tonight. I have a voice for blogging, so please send me a lot of prayers and good wishes.
Dear Readers: I have a few moments today, while the Young Prince has his fencing lesson, to catch up on some holiday season posting. Happily, I have finished all my Christmas shopping for friends and family. Today, I wanted to give my cherished readers a few gifts — before the FCC says that I can’t, based on arcane new rules they plan to develop.
The best bit to share is this quote I came across today: “What we are is God’s gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.”During my Tea Party activism this year, I have been blessed with new friends and insights, which I treasure. I look forward to sharing 2011 with everyone. The Liberator Today has a nice round-up of some key Tea Party successes during the year-end “rabid duck session”(I think this sessions shows that ducks can get rabies!).
The Anchoress, my blogging icon, has posted several excellent pieces related to Advent and the Christmas season. The first one highlights an excellent review of the role of the Blessed Virgin Mary in history, scripture, and belief. She also has an article about the “War on Christmas“: I think whether Christmas is “lost” has a lot to do with how much of its light you’re willing to identify and let in.
It may hearten those who may have recently noticed some pundits seem to be uncomfortable with even the word “Christmas”that the Tea Party attitude may be mounting a push-back. In a Beers with Demo post on this subject, SCTRC’s Sarah Bond notes: All I know is that I’ve had Christmas product in my Cafe Press shop for three years and never sold a single item. Then poof, it’s 2010 and all designs are selling like hot cakes…folks seem pretty fired up to draw a line in the sand on this one. For those of you interested, her fabulous designs can be found by clicking HERE.
To add a little “merry” to this post, here is a “digital Nativity” video that is a hoot (thanks to a friend who happens to be the computer guru for the Shrine)
In an equally humorous, but thought-provoking video, HillBuzz tackles the issue of Islam-based terrorism, with a take-off on the Charlie Brown Christmas Special:
Perhaps someone should show DHS that video, along with Shane Atwell’s recent piece on “citizen spies” during one of the 364 days of the year in our 57 states. In related news, Hillbuzz also gifts with with a hilarious year-in-review by JIB-JAB that it OUTSTANDING!
Considering going to a movie this season? Big Hollywood has been covering the 25 best LEFTIST movies (which has been an exceptionally excellent series). Today’s review features one of my favorite: SOYLENT GREEN. I recently watched it, and laughed at the use of landlines and full-sized video machines.
Finally, in terms of spirits, here is one I am planning to enjoy tonight:
Have a very happy holiday!
Dear Readers: A Samuel Taylor Coleridge quote to begin this palate cleanser...refreshing after dealing with Panther-gate — a post from the Shrine’s financial expert, Professor Athena! Before I do, let me show you some of my summer vaction — celebrating my birthday this week at the local beaches.
What I Did During Summer Vacation
Part I – Enjoying the 4th of July Recess
As anyone who has been to summer camp knows, a lot can happen in a short time. The last two weeks of June saw a five-star general fired, the Supreme Court of the United States throw out a decades-old “honest services” catch-all fraud law used to convict people prosecutors could not actually catch red-handed in statutory infractions, and finally at long last the Business Roundtable woke up.
An association of CEO’s of some of America’s most influential companies, the Business Roundtable (not to be confused with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce) wholly supported the Obama agenda on health care reform. They have been quiet-as-a-mouse on cap-and-trade while many have pointed out the economy-killing nature of such legislation. They were likely in “The Chicago Way” promised quid-pro-quo as they smiled for photo-op’s and became members of the Beautiful Team.
Too bad the Business Roundtable CEO’s didn’t watch more of “The Godfather” and less of “Miss Congeniality”. While they were backstage playing beauty pageant, the administration set new records for vilifying the private sector in those endless speeches, announced it would further tax U.S. companies that operate overseas, further empower unions, ignore pending trade agreement ratification, tax “carried interest” and increase taxes on dividends, limit “derivatives” (hedging transactions) through increases in required capital, return the internet to old-fashioned utility regulations, and reform the entire banking and financial system into a giant federal agency. And you thought the fraud and waste on Wall Street was bad. Just wait until the banks are driven out of profitability and the government is in charge of all your money and investments!
Last week outgoing Budget Director Peter Orzag (another last-two-weeks-in-June announcement among the many who won’t be returning for next season) was presented with a 54-page report from Ivan Seidenberg, CEO for Verizon, outlining economic concerns of the group. It is apparent from earlier closed-door meetings that the public list underscores what the group could not do in private, which was dissuade the current administration from a long list of mistakes that are job-killers. This past week at a speech at the Economic Club of Washington, Mr. Seidenberg called the administration’s business agenda “an increasingly hostile environment for investment and job creation here in this country”.
What next, Mr. Seidenberg discovers that poison ivy is…POISON??!!
But before Wall Street and the banks celebrate by putting away the calamine lotion, having drawn somewhat of a sign of relief in commenting in the vein of “it could have been worse” with respect to the Dodd-Frank Act, perhaps there is yet time for a serious inflammatory outbreak. Not only does the enormous bill create a new behemoth federal agency which did not before exist, it is only the starting point for economic impact of sixteen new titles within the Dodd-Frank Act which remain open to rule-making by the various bodies. Let us consider while we catch our breath here at Summer Camp the impact of a giant agency comprised of the various regulatory agencies which failed to properly assess and control the risk factors which contributed to the financial markets meltdown in 2008 when they were smaller and ostensibly more efficient. If that doesn’t make us all sleep better in our bunk beds, I don’t know what will. The Heritage Foundation writes an excellent overview of how the Act will not fix the mortgage mess. Keep the Heritage Foundation’s sitemap handy for no doubt more of their excellent analysis on the Dodd-Frank Act.
The economic cost of the bill is still being analyzed, but frankly there is no way to put a number on infinity. The various provisions of the bill give the federal government near-unlimited authority to make demands upon and in effect (if those demands fail to be met) to assume control of private enterprise to the extent that capital will leave the system and the cost of compliance with the new rules will no doubt make us all nostalgic for the days when we simply had Sarbannes/Oxley to deal with. It requires specific studies by various groups from the GAO to the SEC to Congressional committees reviewing everything from carbon markets, investment advisers and financial planners, improved investor information and access to broker-dealers, creation of an independent professional analyst organization (this should surprise the body known as ‘Chartered Financial Analysts’ that they do not fit that category already), to all areas of consumer lending, including even “person-to-person” lending. If any of these requirements seem to be examining areas which did not contribute to the financial markets’ meltdown, well in the words of the President’s Chief of Staff, we “can’t let a good crisis go to waste”. This bill will have costs that number at minimum in the high-hundred-billions by the time all the ramifications are added in. It creates a LOT of new federal government jobs. It will not make consumers any safer. It will instead make their loans and their banking services and even their currency cost more. It will drive corporations, especially financial services firms, off-shore, to create jobs where there is less restriction and oversight of consumer products and operations.
As one editorial we read pointed out, its real cost is the uncertainty it introduces at a time when we need more uncertainty least. Like all intentionally vague legislation, it is bad legislation, and we are being charitable. Perhaps much like the earlier-mentioned “honest services” statute, we can eventually get SCOTUS clarification. Let’s hope the damage done to the U.S. economy at that future point in time won’t be irreversible. Because we all learned one other painful lesson during the month of June. We learned we can’t trust federal bureaucrats (MMS) when they tell us all that infrastructure and management is in place to control an oil spill the size of BP’s Macondo well. We shouldn’t trust federal bureaucrats when they swear they know how to clean up giant explosions in the financial system either.
MUT Money Links:
Left Coast Rebel provides a reminder to some Tea Party groups to me mindful of Godwin’s Law: the sarcastic observation that, given enough time, all discussions —regardless of topic or scope —inevitably wind up being about Hitler and the Nazis. Simply not helpful.
In a bit of California news, W.C. notes that: Oakland goes Mad Max. Talk about the new definition of public service!
The Liberator Today was on a trip to New Orleans and overheard: “I know two states Obama’s not going to carry next time, Arizona and Louisiana.”He also has an awesome comparison of Obama and LeBron James, which is a must read! (snippet — We elected a President who has some of the same issues as LeBron. His father was mostly absent from his life. He never had to lead before and it seems to weigh him down.)
To end on the proper note for this post, as it is about summer, I wanted to turn to a blog that I have recently added to my blogroll. As a Cat Lover, how could I not adore a blog called “The Scratching Post”. One of my favorite things to do during the summer is taking the family to the San Diego Zoo or “Safari Park”. KT comes to the same conclusion I have about the “education”.
. We had a great time walking through the exhibits. We learned almost nothing except that we were horrible creatures. Every animal had a sign like this one in front of it and rarely anything else.