Dear Readers: A few interesting tidbits in the “Inbox” today.
“Archaeologists have discovered an 4,000-year-old tomb in Upper Egypt containing a sarcophagus inscribed with ancient funeral texts as well as ritual objects, Egypt’s archaeological treasures minister said Monday. “It is the first time in many years that such a well-preserved tomb has been unearthed, ” said Muhammad Ibrahim.
The tomb dates from ancient Egypt’s First Intermediate Period (2181-2055 BC) and is an unusual find, as very little archaeological evidence survives from this period. Ritual objects made from alabaster copper, terracotta and other materials were found in the tomb, located in the Deir al-Barsha archaeological area, in al-Minya province, 245 kilometres south of Cairo. The dig was coordinated by the Catholic University of Louvain in Belgium.”
For more on the First Intermediate Period in Egypt, click HERE.
Shrine friend Kimberly Dvorak has an interesting story posted: California City billed Obama campaign for extra security costs
California is broke. How broke is the Golden State? It’s so broke that the wealthy beachside enclave of Newport Beach, is billing Obama’s reelection team $35,043 for the extra police security required for a presidential fundraising visit.
The exclusive fundraiser took place at the Stack’s Shore Cliffs home in February. Guests looking to support the President paid $2,500 to attend, $10,000 for a photo reception and $35,800 for a “greet and breakfast.” While the Obama campaign team has not disclosed the amount of money the President raised, in the month of February the reelection effort hauled in $45 million.
I can only hope that other cities see the sense in this approach. That Obama sure is smart, though.
Sadly, it seems that Operation Counteract is slowing down in Texas: Barack Obama 274,895 88%; John Wolf 16,264 5% However, that is still no grand mandate on the Democratic side of the aisle, either.
Other items of note:
- I agree with Shane: I am glad Lugar lost. Also, I am looking forward to seeing the results of the Texas primaries.
- Savvy econo-pundit WC Varones has succinct thoughts on Facebook stock.
- B-Daddy and KT despair of the chaos in Europe.
- Beers with Demos has a few thoughts on Obama’s Secret Kill List. I guess he likes to kit the Drone Button (good one, Professor Jacobson).
- Lonley Conservative notes that Romeny’s Mormon faith is the distraction du jour; Romney, wisely seems quite focused on the economy.
- Via Cal Watchdog: Reports of California’s debt usually just include the $17 billion budget deficit. But California also owes the federal government $14 billion, and public schools $10 billion.
To conclude, Political Junkie Mom has a post on the tomb that is North Korea, which ties this post back to the first item — except there is probably more meat left on an Egyptian mummy that a North Korean in a labor camp.