Dear Readers: Via Gateway Pundit, I have an additional candidate to my Operation Counterweight list of House and Senate Citizen Candidates: Republican Military Hero & First Female to Command Fighter Squadron Will Announce Run For Congress Today (For Gabrielle Giffords’ seat, no less!)
We mentioned last week that former Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt II pilot Martha McSally was considering jumping into the April 17 GOP primary for the special election to complete the term of Gabrielle Giffords, who resigned from Congress on Jan. 25.
McSally is preparing to announce her entrance into the Congressional District 8 race tomorrow afternoon at Zinburger’s Grant Road location, according to Sam Stone, her communications director.
Stone says that McSally is “absolutely” intent on running in the regular election for the new Congressional District 2 later this year. Congressional District 2, created as part of Arizona’s redistricting process, covers much of the same ground as Congressional District 8, although it does not include GOP-heavy precincts in Marana, Oro Valley and SaddleBrooke. CD2 is evenly split between Democrats and Republicans, eliminating the GOP edge in CD8.
Colonel Martha McSally was the first American woman to fly in combat since the 1991 lifting of the prohibition of women in combat. McSally is also the first woman to command a USAF fighter squadron, the 354th Fighter Squadron (354 FS) based at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base; she is an A-10 Thunderbolt II pilot.
As she has just announced her candidacy, I don’t have a “McSally for Congress” link, so this Facebook page will have to do for how (click HERE). Check back for updates. Apparently, the Democrats plan to run a Giffords aide who was wounded in the shooting that killed 5 others and injured Giffords severely. Apparently, the tactics is this aide will “preserve Giffords’ legacy” and he won’t run again when her original term expires. Frankly, I am doubtful of this claim.
So, I trust the good people of Arizona to decide whether that want a sympathy candidate or an innovative, motivated American for AZ-8.
Now, for the other HOT news:
* Check the San Diego Local Order of Bloggers!
* Via Mark Meckler – Across the Fence: The Gliterrati of Los Angeles have now made throwing frisbees and digging holes on the beach a finable offense. Mark deems it “Nanny State.” I disagree — they don’t care about safety. This is a straight shot of “revenue enhancement”.
* CalWatch Dog: Leg Administrators Still Get Tax-Paid Cars — by altering the cars’ title to “district” transportation, we Californians will get to pay for our politicos cars. So, now we know where those frisbee dollars are going to go.
In April 2011, the California Citizens Compensation Commission ruled that senators and Assembly members would lose their state-funded cars by the end of the year. Taxpayers applauded the change, but the decision did not go over well with everyone in the Legislature.
Some legislators responded well, like Assemblyman San Rafael Democrat, Jared Huffman, that cars are not inappropriate “given what we’re asking others to do,” reported a story in Watch Sonoma County. “I will resist commenting on what other legislators say about it. I will just say I’m certainly not going to complain about it. If there’s a single theme for the times were in, it’s shared sacrifice. I fully expect to be part of that sacrifice,” Huffman said.
Seems like some of our public servants still don’t quite get the concept of public service.
* Via Left Coast Rebel’s Proof, I may have another Operation Counterweight addition tomorrow — and someone willing to race against California’s Diane Feinstein: Elizabth Emken for US Senate!
* Beers with Demos has a post on Chris “Tingles Mathews”, Catholic Church, and Tea Parties that is an interesting read. And it seems the Mexicans are arresting the Fast&Furious perps that the American’s won’t.
* Several energy updates, including a great one from Shane Atwell featuring one of my favorite groups, the Center for Energy Progress. Also, China Buys the Canadian oil and Uranium that Team Obama can’t be bothered with.
* Finally, Charles Caesar has a thoughtful piece on “All Protesters Painted as Occupiers” that should be reviewed by all citizen activists as we head into the 2012 election cycle.