Dear Friends: B-Daddy of The Liberator Today offered me a thought-provoking challenge — come up with a set of New Year’s resolutions for Democrats!
The best way resolve this conundrum is to take a look at what B-Daddy and brother Beers with Demo developed for Republicans:
- We will focus on reducing spending as our number one priority. (With the temporary extension of Bush tax cuts, tax policy can temporarily take a back seat.)
- We will start the spending reduction by de-funding Obamacare.
- We will swear off earmarks.
- We will hold hearings on the failure to enforce the border.
- We will investigate Obama regulatory overreach.
- We will not introduce a flag burning amendment, school prayer bill, or a challenge to DADT, etc.
Fiscal sanity, absence of social tampering, and border enforcement are not exactly the hallmark of the current Democratic Party. Can you imagine Obama, Pelosi or Reid coming up with any resolution that is not self-serving or expands their power-reach? Excuse me, while I take a moment to imagine it:
Yes, laughter is some great medicine! 🙂
Now that I have outlined the parameters of this challenge, I think the best appropriate is to offer three items:
* The Link to HillBuzz’ list of RESOLUTIONS to crush the extreme left. HillBuzz members are disgruntled Dems, newly-minted Independents, and PUMAs who are battling Democratic Leadership that has strayed from the original intent of the Founding Fathers as it practices thug-tactics on principled opposition. A snippet:
Our resolution here at HillBuzz is to think of creative ways to encourage Americans who have never been involved in politics before to take a stand and challenge the Left every day on something. We will ridicule Obama and the Left every single day, to point at this would-be emperor and show the world he has no clothes…and no idea what he is doing. We will speak out against Islam and the Islamization of the West, expose the Left’s plans to take down this country, and teach Americans everything we know about using the Left’s own favorite tactics against them.
* A TEA PARTY DEMOCRAT RESOLUTION list (of what I and the other Tea Party Democrats who make up 13% OF Tea Party activists would want).
* A PELOSI DEMOCRAT RESOLUTION list (of what we are actually going to see in 2011 from the Democrats).
- TEA PARTY DEMOCRAT RESOLUTIONS
* Work to break the party’s dependence on Big Labor, as it no longer acts on behalf of Americans but to expand its own power and enrich its inept leadership. SNOWGATE should be a call to all representatives that the time to decertify and deconstruct public employee unions — with their golden pensions and platinum perks — has arrived.
* Reach out to Hispanics and gays, to show that the focus on free markets and sensible fiscal policy will help their families and businesses. Emphasize border security as an inherent part of a nation’s right to exist, highlight the American celebration of heritage (St. Patrick’s Day, Chinatown) as long as our national traditions are also maintained, and the dignity of each individual to “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness” (..note that it is pursuit, not guarantee).
* Make sure the party goes back to actually working on behalf of the average American, and protect everyone against unfair business tactics. Therefore, do not assume that 1) profit is evil; 2) employers or villains; and, 3) confirm that small businesses desiring to become big businesses are actually the engine of “wealth creations” for EVERYONE and should be encouraged, not penalized.
Back in 2002, I wrote that Republicans should be repealing the awful Digital Millennium Copyright Act: By doing so, they’d not only build up goodwill among college-age downloaders and libertarian tech-types, but they’d also harm the entertainment-industrial complex that is a huge source of money and media power for Democrats.
Seldom are politicians presented with the opportunity to do something simultaneously so inherently right, politically popular and strategically advantageous. Naturally, the congressional Republicans of that era blew it.
They just couldn’t bring themselves to go after Big Business, even if it was hostile Big Business. That opportunity is still there. And don’t pass up similar opportunities, either. There are a lot of them out there.
* Call for the immediate resignation/termination/removal/punishment of any representative from the Democratic Party who acts corruptly or illegally. We cannot be a party whose leadership is above the law.
- PELOSI DEMOCRAT RESOLUTIONS
* Expand Big Union Power: The more dues they get, the more money flows into our coffers. We will be in power until the next Millenia — or, until the Chinese take over. But, hell — the Chinese are communist/socialists…so it’s a win-win!
* Continue to paint REPUBLICANS as “corporate fat cats” — but let’s not forget to take all those donations from Wall Street firmswhile bailing out our college buddies heading those financial institutions.
UPDATE 1: I would like to thank B-Daddy for a featured piece on his blog today. After a cleansing Mass to lift my spirits, I wanted to make these two additions:
- TEA PARTY DEMOCRAT RESOLUTIONS
* As appropriate, use grace to bring people together to affect positive change on personal and political levels. For example, our group of bloggers holds periodic “Beer Summits“, in which differences of view are treated with respect. Additionally, I hope I can work to change the hearts of some of my fellow Catholics so that their version of “social justice” no longer includes “redistribution of wealth“. To quote a fabulous book I am reading, “The Bad Catholics Guide to Seven Deadly Sins“: “Left-leaning bishops who wish to make the point that Creation was given to man in common; they leave out the fact that labor is our own and that taxes enforced by the threat of imprisonment can mount up to a kind of slavery.”
(Mut Note: You can thank Catholics, in part, for the 2010 electoral successes –as I reminded Horemheb yesterday).
* Rapidly assisting the employment of many good Americans by agitating for the return of water to California’s Central Valley.
- PELOSI DEMOCRAT RESOLUTIONS
* Enhanced mocking of Catholics, Jews, Mormons, evangelical Christians whenever the doctrines of these institutions don’t correspond to the extreme left’s version of Utopia; expanded pandering to specific faith constituencies, only as necessary.
* Cater completely to the environmental tyrants and “green energy robber barons“, to further increase the elite Democrat power-base; silence the scientifically-correct opposition by any means necessary — economic consequences be damned.
Mut Note: Horemheb reminded me to mention the request for donations to the San Diego Bloodbank — as they need to find a cool $1 million to replace their vans to meet the draconian regulations from the California Air Resources Board:
The State of California recently adopted stricter anti-pollution regulations which obligate the blood bank to progressively decommission seven out of eight of its existing bloodmobiles. As a consequence, we need an extra $1 million for our bloodmobile fleet. So I am asking you to make a generous contribution so that we can start acquiring replacement bloodmobiles critical to our life-sustaining mission in the community.