HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!! A quote from my favorite scary movie, The Omen, to get us started today. I offer a selection of links and essential pre-election reading for all my Tea Party Friends today. Toward the end of the post, I will list the favorite scary movies of my fellow SLOBs!
Biggest horror alert so far: It has been brought to our attention that hundreds of thousands of ballots printed in Fresno County used an incorrect ballot label to describe Proposition 23 (a critical measure to pass, as it will save California’s economy).
Phone-bank efforts on behalf of Prop. 23 are continuing. Site friend and physicist Martin Fricke sends this report from the front lines:
So far, my phone calls that have contacted people seem to fall into 3 categories:
1. Persons who had already made up their minds to vote Yes on 23 (these are slightly ahead now, but the statistical sample is too small to be meaningful).
2. Persons who are so fed up with everything that they’re not even going to vote (an ominous signal if prevalent).
3. People who say thanks but they don’t want to hear about anything that would delay implementing AB32 (nor want to hear any arguments opposing it).
Now for some scary stories involving “the beautiful people” and their Tea Party Challengers!
* Bob Filner: Zombie Candidate vs American Hero. In this episode, Zombie Filner attacks opponent Nick Popaditch with distortions. Filner’s inept team thought that tainting Popaditch with the accusation that Nick hadn’t voted in 11 years, that smear would go unchallenged. My beloved husband Horemheb indicates that an in-depth search of the facts shows that Nick has regularly voted since 2003. Like most regular Americans — as he got older, he got responsible about doing his civic duty. Intrepid grassroots supporter, Cheryl Perez of Chula Vista Patriots, files this report: HOT TOPIC IN THE SOUTH BAY
The constituents of the 51st Congressional district have also received a Halloween trick from Filner. For the first time in his 18 years as Congressman, Filner has an opponent that he has to put some effort into campaigning against. Everyone I have talked to is saying for the first time they are seeing Filner campaign signs and TV ads. … Politics as usual with ads attacking opponents has to stop. I don’t know the answer to getting rid of negative campaign ads, but I know that I am going to make my voice heard to the TV stations that are running the misleading campaign ads. We have to start somewhere, and cleaning up our own backyard is the best place to start. We need to let local stations and the candidates know that we don’t appreciate our intelligence being insulted in this manner. And let the candidates who have run a clean campaign (Popaditch true to his nature, has run a very clean, positive campaign) know that we appreciate that too. (Check out this CALIFORNIA BELONGS TO MEXICO bonus feature!)
* Boxer: Casino Royale. Left Coast Rebel reports on this stoy: Babs Boxer’s Family Profit from Fake Indian Tribe She Helped Create!.I hope Californians understand she has been working more for her own interest than ours during her tenure as Senator. She must be defeated this Nov. 2nd. The money quotes:
In 1998, Lynn Woolsey introduced legislation reinstating an Indian tribe in the wine country of Northern California that had been declared defunct by the Bureau of Indian Affairs in 1958. None of the Indians of the tribe objected at that time; they received a payment and went about their lives. The Woolsey bill would reinstate the tribe but specifically prohibited them from starting a casino. The legislation ran into trouble when the Bureau of Indian Affairs opposed the legislation because it had not seen any evidence that the tribe was significantly tied to the terminated tribe. In 2000, Boxer helpfully picked up the Woolsey bill, but changed the prohibition against gaming, and designated any land that the group owned to be considered as a reservation….
The tribe turned its fortunes over to two firms to make its dreams of wealth come true — Platinum Advisers, a political consulting/lobbying firm, and Kenwood Investments 2. Amazingly, and I’m certain quite coincidentally, Barbara Boxer’s son, Doug, was a partner in each firm.
* “Restoring Sanity (?), Ground Reports: Demon Seed Does DC.Watching a few clips of this rally, I was sickened. The Beck Rally was an inspirational event, devoted to the best in this country. While I think a joke or two about aspects of the “Restoring Honor” were probably warranted, 2 plus hours of a mean-spirited, small-hearted, America-demeaning mock-a-thon was petty. And, from the comments I read, not terribly entertaining. A thorough and scientific analysis of the crowd size is HERE. A HillBuzz Reader had a ground Report from the event (click HERE).
I exited the Metro Center to meet my group for orientation just as the rally was breaking up. The first thing that I noticed was how loud and rude most of the participants leaving the rally were. The only way I can describe it is to state there was an atmosphere of imperial smugness in the air. Lots of people wearing Ivy league T-shirts and caps (Princeton, Harvard, Rutgers, etc) and T-shirts stating “Educated, Not Ignorant” (ha-ha, take THAT peasants!) …
The third thought which pointed out the difference between the Beck rally and the Stewart rally, besides the mood, tenor and trash, were the signs. The signs I saw at the Stewart rally were rude, obnoxious and accusatory. Lots of foul language, and demonizing of Republicans and Tea Party members, using language and imagery I won’t repeat here. There were also a lot of signs demanding the legalization of marijuana, and demanding that people learn to love muslims. Several signs, “So what if Obama’s muslim”, and “I’m muslim, so you better learn to love me”., and many, “America isn’t just white and Christian”. And “f&ck h8ters” with pictures of Palin, Cantor, etc. ???? Not only were there many signs demanding legalization of marijuana, I can assure you there was a great amount of usage of the “special herb” as well. Again – a definite contrast to the quiet, respectful crowd of 8-28. (For A PHOTO ESSAY ON THOSE SIGNS, PLEASE CLICK HERE).
* Press Sabotage of Joe Miller: Attack of the Mama Grizzly Bear!Two Alaska reporters from a cBS affiliate were making plans to smear Republican Candidate Joe Miller by associating him with a child molester. Needless to say, former Governor Sarah Palin had a few choice words for this cretins.
* Christine O’Donnell: Bewitched. Gawker pays cash for a sex-based smear story focused on the Delaware GOP Senate Candidate (MUT Note — I am not so sure it wasn’t the Republican elites under Rove who is responsible for the story; it is similar to the tactic they used in South Carolina’s primary with Nicky Hailey.) Because, nothing says “detailed platform based on the issues” than pulling out a fake sex story on the Thursday before election day.
* Barney Frank: The Curse of Frank-enstein. Barney turns to Michael Dukakis for rally support.
* Mr. and Mrs. Barak Hussein Obama: Night of the Living Dead. Obama is sending down thugs to intimidate poll-watchers in critical districts in Arizona and Hillbuzz reports the Michelle Obama costumes are now popping-up.
SAN DIEGO LOCAL ORDER OF BLOGGERS “SCARY MOVIE” FAVS!
* Temple of Mut: The Omen. My parents, not one for kids films, took my brother and I (aged 9 and 10) to a showing. I went to bed with a glow-in-the-dark virgin Mary for a month afterwards. And we weren’t even Catholic (though the movie may be a reason I became one).
* The Liberator Today: “I would have to say the Korean film “The Host.” It’s realism really sucks you in.” (MUT Note: The Liberator Today offers an essential roundup of ballot recommendations; CLICK HERE FOR A GOOD VOTING GUIDE). \
* W.C. Varones: Jacob’s Ladder. Super scary psychological thriller/horror. It stars Timothy Robbins, who’s a commie wacko, but in some of the best movies of all time: Bull Durham, Shawshank Redemption, Arlington Road, Mystic River. And did you see him as a right-wing populist in Bob Roberts? I totally would have voted for that guy.