UPDATE: California’s independent Legislative Analyst’s Office has just released a report: California watchdog sees climate policy job losses More information is HERE! The formal LAO report is here: LAO’s Critique of the AB 32 Scoping Plan Economic Analysis
Dear Readers: I wanted to revisit two of my favorite ranting topics: The business-killing legislation that is AB-32 (The California version of Cap&Trade; sadly, we are the only state in the union to embrace the theory of man-made global warming fully) AND the pathetic state of the elite media in this country.
The American press is dead. Its failure to report accurate on the false science and subsequent cover-up of Climate-gate may be fatal to the the economy of the Golden State.
(MUT Note: The title of today’s post comes from this under-reported gem — Obama salutes Navy “corpse-man”).
One of the Shrine’s avid supporters (Jeff) sent me some information earlier this week, which he wanted me to share. Southern California Public Radio had this debate: Do climate laws hurt California’s economy? The movement to repeal AB 32. One of the guests was Dan Logue, California Assemblyman, representing counties in the 3rd Assembly District and sponsor of an initiative to repeal AB-32. Jeff encourages everyone to go to the site and add comments in support of the repeal, and add information that counters the global-warming-faith that is usually offered by the American press. (Click HERE to contribute comments).
Jeff also wanted our citizen activists to be apprised that this site exists, too: Assemblyman Dan Logue Meet Your Newest Worst Enemies: Angry CA VOTERS and NO ON VALERO.COM. I have news for Calitics, the host: MANY CALIFORNIA VOTERS ARE MORE ANGRY AT ECO-TYRANTS SUCH AS YOURSELF. Our Tea Party Movement will not end until we over-turn the job-crushing rules and regulations imposed on us by elitists using debunked scientific theories.
Calitics wants Californians to be upset that legal businesses, Valero Energy Corp. and Tesoro Corp, want to help support causes that will help them employ our citizens and bring wealth to our state? Frankly, I am grateful that there are still two corporations that are willing to try and help our state. I would urge my Tea Party friends to go over to NOONVALERO.COM to marvel on the fantasy claims they make:
* Claim – Valero’s Initiative Would Create More Air Pollution in California; Reality: Despite Valero and Tesoro being in currently, operation, California’s smog-forming pollutants decrease; air quality has improved statewide over the past view decades.
* Claim – Valero’s Initiative Would Kill Thousands of Jobs and Billions of Dollars of Investments in California’s Economy. Reality: This study, Cost of State Regulations on California Small Businesses, was completed and turned into the Governor’s office in December 2008. The study found that the total cost of regulation to the State of California is $492.994 billion which is almost five times the State’s general fund budget, and almost a third of the State’s gross product. The cost of regulation results in an employment loss of 3.8 million jobs which is a tenth of the State’s population. Since small business constitute 99.2% of all employer businesses in California, and all of non-employer business, the regulatory cost is borne almost completely by small business. This study provides the most comprehensive and complete analysis of the total regulatory burden in California. This effect will be worse when the regulation heavy AB-32 acts get implemented over the next few years.
* Claim: Valero’s Initiative Would Increase Dependence on Foreign Oil. Reality: Most of the citizens in California are “all-of-the-above” types when it comes to energy: If a product is based on sound science, real need, and makes sense economically, people will be delighted to support it. However, the working citizens of California — the employers, small business owners, and entrepreneurs, do not want to be dictated to by eco-tyrannical elites. Businesses are already leaving the state in droves now; Valero and Tesoro are throwing us a life-line so that we may actually preserve the economic opportunities we have!
Furthermore, eco-tyrants shut down and agreement to drill — in an environmentally sound matter that had the approval of a local environmental group — for oil around Santa Barbara. It is actions like that the really enhance American dependence on foreign oil. The details: Oil Co. Presents New Coastal Drilling Plan
Houston-based Plains Exploration & Production Co. – known as PXP – signed an agreement with local environmental groups last Thursday, effectively setting a date for the company to shut down its existing off-shore oil production decades before they had originally imagined. In addition, the agreement provides that PXP donate over 3,900 acres of land for public parkland, including 200 acres along Gaviota’s picturesque coastline.
If that operation had been set-up, Californians would have had real jobs and real wealth.
Jeff had further requests:
1) Check out an example of the trite, tedious and weak news reporting on environmental matters, as it pertains to this topic (Click HERE to watch Video).
2) Write the station whose reporter is responsible for the eco-tyrannical propoganda: Click HERE to submit comment.
3) Write Valero a note of support: Click HERE to say thanks!
Interestingly, Valero — the epitome of “anti-green” corporations — makes…. (wait for it…)...BIOFUELS!
MUT’s News and Views:
More job-trouble because of federal rules: Changes in ObamaCare will require businesses to count part-time workers for coverage penalties
The new census form is raising eyebrows because of its un-constitutional ethnic questioning; Michelle Malkin offers an interesting action item.
Beers with Demo: Quote of the day: There you have the premise of this legislation and the core of today’s liberalism: the American people are such dopes they can’t be counted upon to buy their own insurance.
The Liberator Today is thinking to go into the “belly of the Beast” and attend an upcoming Coffee Party: Keeping Tabs on the Nutroots Nation
The Anchoress caps today’s report with an aptly titled: LIES AND LIARS! It is a reminder that Climate-gate isn’t the only scandal the American press corpse fails to report.