Dear Readers: There was much news to be had through this weekend. As an apt synopsis for the totality of its meaning, this statement from Winston Churchill suits admirably:
“…now this is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.”
(Photo credit: Solar Navigator, http://www.solarnavigator.net/ )
Churchill made this statement after the battle of El Alamein in Egypt, in which the allies soundly defeated the Germans lead by General Rommel. It was one of the earliest indications that the Allies had they could beat back Axis forces. However, Churchill recognized the long road ahead (e.g., invasion of Italy, D-Day, defeat of the Japanese) and the sacrifices still to be made.
In no particular order, here are MUT’s news highlights, and the reason each demonstrates the end-stage of the initial process of Tea Party citizen activism’s push-back on the big government power grabs.
* SNL- has an outstanding video lambasting the Obama deficit-based policies for “economic stimulation”. MUT’s Money Quote: “I like to be kissed when someone does sex to me”. Reason for entry: SNL would only mock Obama if the public at large lost “that loving feeling” — that is, SNL humor is a lagging indicator of public sentiment.
* Global warming data has been debunked as the “snake oil” science that Sarah Palin said it was. The Bishop Hill blog has a nice summary of the emails that were apparently released by a Whistleblower (click here to go to this important link) A snippet:
# Phil Jones writes to University of Hull to try to stop sceptic Sonia Boehmer Christiansen using her Hull affiliation. Graham F Haughton of Hull University says its easier to push greenery there now SB-C has retired.(1256765544)
# Michael Mann discusses how to destroy a journal that has published sceptic papers.(1047388489)
# Tim Osborn discusses how data are truncated to stop an apparent cooling trend showing up in the results (0939154709). Analysis of impact here. Wow!
# Phil Jones describes the death of sceptic, John Daly, as “cheering news”.
# Phil Jones encourages colleagues to delete information subject to FoI request.(1212063122)
# Phil Jones says he has use Mann’s “Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series”…to hide the decline”. Real Climate says “hiding” was an unfortunate turn of phrase.(0942777075)
# Letter to The Times from climate scientists was drafted with the help of Greenpeace.(0872202064)
This means that the public will be more supportive and engaged in pushing back on junk science (e.g., repealing AB32–California’s cap and trade rules — and turning on the taps to the Central Valley water). It also indicates that the Tea Party groups are also more likely to utterly defeat Cap and Tax. A sweet, first victory — but much work remains to be done.
[CARB Update: We have been following the “snake oil” science of the California Air Resources Board. We want to congratulate Jeff Lassle and all others involved in getting CARB to grant another extension to the “sell-thru period” for composite wood panel products (the details on CARB’s hideous rules based on junk science are detailed HERE: The REAL Hazard to CA Citizens, Formaldehyde or CARB?). Jeff notes: I am not aware of anyone whom ever got CARB to cave in like this, but could be the economy or maybe this massive fight against them is working.]
California citizens need to keep fighting!
* Many of us our discouraged by the U.S. Senate cloture vote this weekend. Our own Sarah, the Chief Executive Officer of the Southern California Tax Revolt Coalition, offers these words that are similar to the points made by Churchill after El Alamein:
But I can’t help shaking this gut feeling it was for the best (sort of)…because it drags out the debate for at least a couple more weeks. I could be COMPLETELY wrong, and I’m sure I’ll hear from a lot of you on this. But if it has failed last night, Reid would have just gone to Reconciliation…where they only need a simple majority. At least we are still in a fight where we have to make them pick off 60 votes.
What we need more than anything in this fight is to delay, delay, delay. Drag this debate out as long as possible. The polling numbers keep getting better in our favor and 2010 creeps nearer and nearer.
We are hoping to get some good intel later today to pass along to everyone. Please keep up the pressure…it disarms the opposition when we DO NOT lose heart…when we make it clear we have the stamina to take this fight all the way to the finish line…even if that means taking this cause to the courtroom.
For those citizens wishing to discuss their viewpoints on healthcare reform with the “YES” Senators in Red States directly, here below is a list (courtesy of Jumping in Pools) of these policos, and HERE is a place to get the contact information:
Alaska – Mark Begich.
Arkansas – Blanche Lincoln.
Arkansas – Mark Pryor.
Louisiana – Mary Landrieu.
Missouri – Claire McCaskill.
Montana – Max Baucus.
Montana – Jon Tester.
Nebraska – Ben Nelson.
North Dakota – Kent Conrad.
North Dakota – Byron Dorgan.
South Dakota – Tim Johnson.
West Virginia – Robert Byrd.
West Virginia – Jay Rockefeller.
(MUT Note: I have the Young Prince to thanks for the inspiration. We watched History Channel’s WWII in HD together all last week, and that is when I heard this Churchill quote).
MUT’s News and Views:
* Hillbuzz outdoes itself, posting a great piece on teaming up of Cheney/Palin with a hint of Star Wars: Help Us Dick Cheney, You Are Our Only Hope. Gotta love it!
* From Voting Female Speaks: Obama to Congress: Do as I do – sacrifice reelection to unleash Socialism on an Unwilling America.
* Where Has the Thrill Gone? (From the incredible Victor Davis Hanson).
UPDATE: Thanks to Charles Caesar: The Death Blow to Climate Science.