T-alk to your representatives
A-ccess new sources of information
Dear Readers: I wanted to spend a little time updating everyone on how the Tea Party Movement has grown since I was surfing the net last Friday, following the chatter inspired by Rick Santelli’s magnificent rant and the support it inspired in the studio filled with average Americans.
I knew his words inspired me to protest the gross negligence of our federal and state legislators, who rapidly passed pork-filled pseudo-stimulus packages and high-tax budgets. Subsequently, I started agitating for action. Initially, I was merely thinking to mail tea bags to select public officials. However, Top Conservatives on Twitter had other ideas: Real Tea Party Revolts held throughout the country simultaneously.
Now, courtesy of a new friend I found on Facebook this past week, I am delighted to list the following Tea Party Revolts — with specific cities and party locations:
Denver, CO – Feb. 27, 10:00am, Colorado State Capitol Building – 200 E. Colfax Ave, EAST side steps
Fort Myers, FL – 11:00am – 1:30pm, Bowditch Point Park
Saint Louis, MO – Friday, February 27th, 11:00am – 12:00pm, The Steps of the Arch on Wharf Street
Los Angeles, CA – Saturday, July 4th, Santa Monica Pier, 7:00am-12:00pm
Boston, MA – Saturday, July 4th, 12:00pm, Griffin Harbor
Chicago, IL – July 4th, 7:00pm, Belmont Harbor, Lakeshore Drive
Vancouver, WA – April 18th, Lawn of Clark County Courthouse, 11am to 1pm
Kansas City, MO – Saturday, Feb. 28th, 10:00am – 2:00pm, J.C. Nichols Foundation, 47th and J.C. Nichols Parkway
Philadelphia, PA – Saturday, Feb. 28th, 12:00pm, Independence Hall
Orlando, FL – Feb. 27th, 12:00pm-2:00pm, Lake Eola
Cleveland, OH – February 27, 2009, 12:00pm – 1:00pm, Public Square in Downtown Cleveland
Tulsa, OK – Feb. 27, 2009, 12:00pm – 1:00pm, Veterans Park, 21st and Boulder
Greenville, SC – Feb. 27th, Main Street, 6:00pm
San Diego, CA – Feb. 27th, The harbor (just north of the Star of India), 9:00am
Pittsburgh, PA – Feb. 27th, 2009 , 12pm – 1pm, Market Square
Fort Worth, TX – Feb. 27th, The outside stage at The Cowtown Bar & Grill, 7108 Camp Bowie Blvd, 3:00pm – 7:00pm
Houston, TX – Feb. 27th, 11:00am, Fondren Green at Discovery Green Park, (in front of the amphitheater)
Atlanta, GA – Friday, Feb. 27th, State Capitol (Washington Street exit), 12:00pm
Chicago, IL – Friday, Feb. 27th, 11:00am central, Daley Plaza
Washington, DC – Friday, Feb. 27th, 12:00pm, Washington Monument
(MUT Note: The Official Tea Party link I provided above will take you to the page where you can get further information and meet fellow citizens.)
This morning, I noticed that Instapundit was asking a very good question — what should be the goal of the Tea Party. A most sensible question, indeed!
I have actually been giving this some thought, as I may be speaking at our local tea party (thank you Dawn, San Diego’s Version of Libertybelle). My small speech is titled “Citizen Journalist”. I think it sums up my personal goals nicely.
The Founding Fathers set-up a free press, with the intention that the press would act as a watch dog on the government. The press is failing miserably at this constitutional duty. For example, there is good reason that Bernard Goldberg’s new book is titled: A Slobbering Love Affair: The True (And Pathetic) Story of the Torrid Romance Between Barack Obama and the Mainstream Media.
Without this protection, the inalienable rights of we Americans have to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness can be trampled. Part of the problem is that the Press has a template, and will omit stories that don’t fit it. Press omissions related to the tax revolt include:
* Failing to report that the Republican Congressmen had developed a lower-cost alternative to the stimulus package that featured tax cuts.
* Neglecting to mention the lower-cost stimulus alternative presented by freshman Democratic Congressman Walter Minnik.
* Ignoring wild legislative proposals, such as the “California Exit Tax“. The measure would impose a new 35% income surtax (in addition to federal taxes and the existing 10.3% top state rate), and penalize people who leave the state by seizing 55% of assets exceeding $20 million.
* Deriding “greedy business people” — in other words, attacking capitalism. The Goddess of Capitalism is not pleased! The Press in California has helped create an enterprise climate so hostile that our state rates a very scary 48th in the Tax Climate index. The national Press also fails to mention that the United States has the second highest Corporate tax rate in the world — but it is sure fast to blast businessmen trying to make a profit!
As a former member of the Press, and a daughter of a Pulitzer Prize winner, I am ashamed. I could spend my time whining and complaining, but I am the type of person who likes to develop “work arounds”. Therefore, I want to set some Tea Party goals related to the Press and its constitutional failure. These goals include:
* GETTING “REBELS” TO DIRECTLY INTERACT WITH THEIR REPRESENTATIVES. For example, a recent “townhall” for a Northern Californian congressman was swamped with unhappy citizens who were shocked to discover he thinks a 90% marginal tax rate is OK! You can start here.
* STAYING INFORMED OUTSIDE OF TRADITIONAL MEDIA SOURCES. The Internet is merely one source — one that was critical to the Tea Party success. Be sure to fight against new version of the “Fairness Doctrine”, as radio has been a sound source of alternative information since the first version died in 1988.
* REACHING OUT TO OTHER PEOPLE. Learn from those who have more knowledge than you in certain areas. Seek out more “progressive” venues and share the facts and figures as you see them. You may get “flamed”; however, you may change opinion as well.
* STAYING VISIBLE. That means we stay proud of our love of capitalism, enterprise, and liberty. We wear our t-shirts and buttons openly. We continue holding Tea Parties to 2010, 2012, and beyond.
Denver Tea Party
Senator DeMint Supports
San Antonio Tea Party Needs Help
State of Confusion: Obama Speech Review
A non-Political, and high quality, Iraq War movie — Taking Chance
Media Credibility in Meltdown
Market Tanks after Obama Speech
UPDATE: Here is the giant tea bag filled with legislation being dumped into San Diego Bay Tomorrow —