Making this recipe for my family meal tomorrow, I thought of all readers who may like to cook and would enjoy a new recipe. You will even note it is vegetarian!!!
Every time I make this for an event, I always get requests for the recipe and to make it again at the next one! This is a winner — and if you have a food processor (or even a cheap electric chopper from Target, like me) it is super simple to make.
- 3 cups fresh cranberries (1, 12-ounce bag)
- 4 green onions (or 3 bunches of scallions) – very finely minced/chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers (seeded and minced — 2 TBSP)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup minced finely cilantro
- 2 TBSP grated, fresh ginger (Note – I use my chopper to cut the ginger finely, once it is peeled and cut into smaller pieces).
- 2 TBSP lemon juice.
Use the chopper/processes to finely chop the cranberries — but stop before they get mushy. Add in onions, peppers, sugar, cilantro, ginger and lemon juice — mixing completely after each addition.
Let it sit 4 hours, covered, at a minimum — this lets the flavors blend and develop. It is essentially acid-based chemistry that sweetens the mixture over time. For best results, let it sit overnight.
Serve with cream cheese and crackers.