Dear Readers: A friend of the Shrine decided to give a call to the office of Karen Bass, freshman congresswoman from the blue CA-33/West LA County area. He notes:
On her internet site, she has a video of the “Faces of the unemployed”. She is the cause of much of the unemployment in California stemming way back to the formaldehyde issue I faced and thousands of others in this state as well as the diesel rule under the guise of the California Air Resources Board. I called her office in Washington and told her people that I would like to be on that video and her actions as Speaker of the House in California was in the most part responsible for my demise financially. In the words of her spokesman: “The environment is much more important than jobs”.
I wanted to take the time to introduce Californians to Karen Bass. Her biography should raise red flags to Californians who expect their representatives to focus on job creation — especially as Gallup reports that the real unemployment rate is over 9% and the “underemployment” rate is close to 20% (mindful that the Great Depression rates were 25% at their height).
- She is the leader of the California African-Americans for Obama.
- Bass served as a California Co-chair of Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign.
- As a member of the California Assembly, she Bass served as the chair of the Select Committee on Foster Care and as vice chair of the Legislative Black Caucus.
- When Speaker Fabian Nunez was termed out of the California Assembly (she served in the 47th CA Assembly District and was Majority Whip), she was voted in as Speaker. Subsequently, she stated: “The Republicans were essentially threatened and terrorized against voting for revenue. Now [some] are facing recalls. They operate under a terrorist threat: ‘You vote for revenue and your career is over.’ I don’t know why we allow that kind of terrorism to exist. I guess it’s about free speech, but it’s extremely unfair.”
During her time in the California Assembly, I don’t see any record of service on teams involving budget or small business expansion. I see no evidence of any thing resembling serious interest in “job creation” beyond platitudes and YouTube videos. Let’s take a look at her current record as Congresswoman, shall we:
- 8 Sponsored Bills (Ranks of 440) 0 Made Into Law (Ranks of 440)
- 196 Co-Sponsored Bills (Ranks of 440) 6 Made Into Law (Ranks of 440)
- Her most recent sponsored bills deal with: Child Abuse program (reworking regulations so that the Federal Government has more power than the state); aTask Force for assessing Human Trafficking (as if we didn’t all realize it is a hideous problem without spending more tax dollars); And a commission to “accelerate the end of breast cancer” (I am curious how, precisely, a commission is going to speed-up the research related to the cure of any cancer; such organizations are notorious for slowing things down).
Let’s see how she did during actual votes on other congressional bills. Did she support the Keystone Pipeline which would have created several thousand American jobs and eventually lessened the cost of gas for her constituents? Did she vote for a freeze in congressional pay? Did she support California citizens in the nearby Central Valley crying for water? See for yourself.
Plainly, Bass serves Obama and promotes victim-oriented politics. If you want real solutions to the job crisis, there will be none coming from her office. I sure hope the people of her district, with the above-average 11% unemployment rate, get informed and realize what a bill of goods they are being sold.
Furthermore, it seems neither jobs nor the environment are important to Bass. Her sole focus: The re-election of Obama. There seems to be a lot of that going around.
A few news and notes that caught the attention of the Goddess of Capitalism:
Cupcake ATMs On The Way : Sprinkles, a gourmet cupcake chain with 10 locations nationally, is set to open its first 24-hour cupcake vending machine on March 9 at its original store in Beverly Hills, Calif.
- TWITCHY? Legal Insurrection is doing Twitchy, as am I. It is Michelle Malkin’s new site, which is a compendium and analysis of Tweets.
- The Transfiguration and the Christian victory of the Muslims during the 1456 Siege of Belgrade.
- HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY.
- Special Series: Bankruptcy Didn’t Make the Sky Fall In Orange County
- WC Varones: The Compleat Student Loan Scam Primer
- Lipstick Underground: KONY 2012 – LET THE DONATOR BEWARE. Note – read this piece, as it seems that the complete story is not actually found in the now-popular glossy video.
- Left Coast Rebel: Obama’s Harvard “Diversity” Video in which he honors a race-baiting professor whose policies he well and truly adopted.
- KT CAT: A Little Bit More On Benton Harbor
- Beers with Demo: Video clip of the day (Obama’s Twin Deficits)
Mark Meckler posts this: Incumbents Fear Citizen Backlash – Victory for Campaign for Primary Accountability
Finally, B-Daddy has this: Math Strikes San Diego Unified
Why the SDUSD assumed that they would have the money for these pay raises in the future is unknown to me. Much of the district’s funding comes from the California state government. The state’s finances are not improving. Given our high rates of taxation of all kinds, I am sure that California will lag any national recovery.
The unions are resisting any concessions, of course, and seem willing to put their heads in the sand and let the layoffs roll on. Meanwhile Scott Barnett of the SDUSD considers the nuclear option, if only to get the unions to bargain in their own best interests…